Paul is tenacious. He is a civil litigator that fights for people and businesses in their most important matters. Paul has obtained million-dollar recoveries for plaintiffs in sexual assault, civil rights, and medical malpractice cases. Paul has also represented businesses when livelihoods were on the line.
In 2016, Paul was named “Attorney of the Year” by Minnesota Lawyer for his work on a highly publicized, free speech case. He represented a high school student who was unconstitutionally expelled for responding to a post on Twitter about his gym teacher. The case garnered international attention.
In 2020, Paul was again named “Attorney of the Year” for his work on behalf of a family whose son was shot and killed by law enforcement, setting the record for the largest payout in a Minnesota Government Data Practice Act case. Having won this prestigious award twice, Paul joined the “Circle of Excellence.” He is one of only a few lawyers to achieve this designation before turning 40 years old.
Paul has obtained other large settlements and jury acquittals—sometimes for the same client in related cases. For example, Paul defended a young man shot by a police officer three times in the back. The State charged Paul’s client with first-degree assault to cover up the police shooting. Paul convinced a jury to acquit his client, saving him from at least ten years in prison. Paul then sued the police officer for excessive force. The case settled for $2.85 million.
Paul regularly represents survivors of sex abuse in lawsuits against schools, group homes, juvenile detention centers, and other institutions that are supposed to protect his clients against sexual predators. Paul helps these individuals and families fight for civil justice and prevent others from suffering similar trauma.
In addition, Paul represents businesses in high-stakes commercial litigation, prosecuting and defending companies in cases involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference, racketeering, price fixing, and others. Business owners seek Paul’s representation because of his strategic mind and fierce litigation style.
Paul attended law school at the University of Minnesota, where he graduated magna cum laude. He is now an Adjunct Law Professor for the school’s civil rights moot court program. He has won numerous awards for his legal writing.
Prior to law school, Paul was a financial analyst and a firefighter. While handling emergencies for the public, Paul learned to think fast on his feet and remain level-headed during tense circumstances—skills that prepared him well for the courtroom.
You can contact Paul directly for a free legal consultation at (612) 455-7056.
J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, magna cum laude
B.S. (finance), University of Colorado, graduated with distinction
State of Minnesota
State of South Dakota
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the District of South Dakota
U.S. District Court for the District of Western Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Attorney of the Year (2016)
Attorney of the Year (2020)
Circle of Excellence (2020)
Minnesota Rising Star (2017-2021)
Minnesota Super Lawyer (2023)
Top Case Results
- Paul recovered a $2.85 Million Dollar settlement for a young man shot in the back by a police officer.
- In 2020, Paul was named Attorney of the Year and to Minnesota Lawyer’s Circle of Excellence for setting the record for the largest payout in a Minnesota Government Data Practices Act case.
- In 2019, Paul won a $500,000 settlement for a young girl who suffered a cracked skull when she fell off a neighbor’s zipline.
- In 2016, Paul was named Attorney of the Year for winning a $425,000 settlement for a high school student who was unconstitutionally expelled for responding to a post on Twitter about his gym teacher.
- Paul has obtained $1 Million Dollar+ recoveries for plaintiffs in matters involving sexual assault, civil rights violations, and medical malpractice.
- Paul has also recovered $1 Million Dollar+ in defective product cases.